An obvious ambition

We take nothing for granted, and we continue to challenge ourselves to do better. We’re helping to reduce forest clearance by using recycled and preconsumer wood as a raw material for our products, and any wood that cannot be recycled is used as a source of energy, helping us to minimise our CO2 emissions. And that’s not all – through smart working with local partners, we support the local economy.

Did you know that not one specific tree is ever felled to produce UNILIN Panels products?

A second life for discarded wood

We consciously opt for 100% circular wood, with 15% coming from sources including sustainable verge and forest management and preconsumer wood supplied by the timber industry. The remaining 85% is postconsumer wood looking for a second life.

We employ sophisticated sorting and cleaning processes to give a second life to more than one million tonnes of wood every year – wood that would otherwise be incinerated. Importantly, we ensure that our wood gets a sustainable second life by producing only high-quality products for long-term enjoyment.

Local roots, global outlook

We look for our raw materials as close to home as possible, and collaborate with our clients in the kitchen and furniture industries, recycling facilities and demolition yards close to our sites. What they see as waste, we use as raw materials. They can get rid of their residual materials, which we utilize in our production process.

We transport as much wood as possible by water, reducing our rely upon the roads and, in turn, our footprint.

Did you know that using a cargo vessel takes as many as 60 HGVS off the road?

Saving and generating energy

When their lives come to an end, some of our panels can be reprocessed to produce chipboard, otherwise they're used to generate renewable energy. Our own biomass plant converts non-recyclable wood into heat and electricity, helping us to ensure that all of our wood is used to the max – reuse where possible, and sustainable energy production at the end of the material cycle.